Friday 2 August 2013

Annoucing: The Coen Brothers Retrospective!

As a film fanatic, there are a number of a keys film and directors that I have not sampled. Heck, I had never seen a Stanley Kubrick film until three years ago and an Ingmar Bergman one until this summer. I take it upon myself to fill out these gaps. The Coens in particular need my attention more. I have seen No Country For Old Men, Fargo, The Ladykillers, The Big Lebowski and True Grit before starting my marathon. In fact, No Country and Lebowski are probably amongst my all time-favourite films. So, really, there is no excuse for me not to try out more of their films. So now the time has come to fill the crucial gaps from some of America's greatest directors. So I am going to present short blogs (500-800 words) on each of the films I watch by them, presenting my initial impressions and thoughts on the film and any re-occurring themes I notice, speaking as something of an outsider to the brothers' works. First up, is O Brother, Where Art Thou?, followed by Barton Fink. I will probably re-watch the ones I have mentioned above and try to see them as part of the larger body of work. Doing this in a slightly odd way by watching/reviewing these films out of order, but it should keep you guys guessing on what I'm going to do next!

No comments:

Post a Comment